We both were still working at this time and I was expecting our first baby, the baby was due some time in September. I was given a shower by Wayne s mom and my mom, I was excited because I was new at this. My mom does not drink any more, she has cancer, the doctor told her to give up drinking and cigarettes, she choose to keep smoking.
Wayne was laid off from work right after we moved in, I was really worried that we would loose the house, so I would have to keep working. I was hoping he would find work because I wanted to be home with the baby. I had a normal pregnancy, no problems and I worked up to the time I went into the hospital and Wayne had found another job. I was glad I took a class in motherhood and they taught us what to do when we went into labor at the hospital. I called Wayne s work and he came home, we arrived at the hospital at 4:30 am and I had Doug the next afternoon at 2:30pm, boy I was glad that it was over. My son weighed 9 lbs. 7 1/2 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. He was born with a congenial birth defect, his left ear did not form properly and there was no ear canal. To me he was made from our love, perfect in all ways and so beautiful.
We almost lost Doug, when he was two and a half months old, he almost suffocated, the name for it now is "SIDS". We were over to Waynes moms playing cards and I had put Doug on the bed for a nap. We checked him often, but I went in for the last time, I picked him up and turned him over, he went double in my hands, we called the ambulance, no 911 then. Wayne s mom took him from me, I was hysterical, his mom was a nurse, thank the Lord, she helped save his life and at this time Doug was splotchy blue.
At the hospital they put him in a oxygen tent, we stayed for hours with him, praying and crying. Doug had a habit of sucking two of his fingers, only once in a while, so when he began to suck them I knew he was going to make it. We had gotten his picture taken at the studio and did not want to pick them up if he did not make it, so next day we went to pick them up. This happened two weeks before Christmas, so again we did not put the tree up until he came home. His crib went into our room for a couple months. We were thankful that he had come out of this without any problems, especially without breathing for a period of time, maybe this is why he is such a smart kid.
This was one tradgey in this house, the second one happened to our neighbor boy, Chuckie, it was the next summer. He had just started high school, he was so looking forward to it. When we first met the neighbors, right after moving in, we liked them. Chuckie was their only child, his brother died of lukemia at five years old. Lucy, their mother, had adopted another boy, Eddie and a little girl. Chuckies mom said he had just come home from school and was sitting at the table having a snack. The plumbers, outside were drilling for a new well and yelled in the window and ask if Chuckie could give them a hand. I wish his mom would of said no and this would not of happened. They wanted Chuckie to hold a very long pipe and guide it into the caseing below ground, one other man was on the lawn holding it also. All of a sudden the two were thrown into the hole, because the pipe had hit the high tension lines, electricity ran down the pipe and came out Chuckie in three places, the other man only received burns. Chuckie had died instantly, the plumbers went crazy trying to revive him, to no avail. I had seen it all, because I heard the men working and went to see what was going on, I saw them holding the pipe and guiding it into the hole, when all of a sudden both of them went flying into the hole, I did not know what was going on. I wish I would of went home and not seen them bring Chuckie out of the hole, I did not know how much I had liked him until then.
His mom had been next door out of sight of her house, they called to her to come quick, the tone they used brought her running. They told her what had happened, she fell across Chuckie begging him to wake up and one man had to pull her up off him. Now all she had left was her two adopted children, she became very depressed after this, I felt sorry for them. We sold the house and moved back into town, too many sad memories in this house.