Friday, February 25, 2011

Olden Day Teachers=Part 2

Not too long after the addition of the Vos children, the school came into view, a dingy white beggar sunning by the side of the road.

A number of the children, who lived in the eastern part of the district, had gathered around the door, eager to enter the building. I had walked exactly four miles. I brushed some of the dust from my clothing and asked them to remain out of doors for a few more minutes. I wanted to experience the transforming power, that a group of enthusiastic children would have on the interior of the building.

I walked into the vestibule, against the north wall was a large pile of wood and near the south wall, a pump and dipper. The floor of the schoolroom proper was made of rough wide boards, the wainscoating high with large spikes, driven in at regular intervals, about three feet above the floor, A large rusty box stove, four rows of double seats, a home made recitation bench, a cheap desk and chair for the teacher furnished the room. A small black board hung on the east wall and there were windows on the south and north sides.

After freshing up a bit, at the pump, I opened the door. I have never seen more happiness and enthusiasm in children than this crowd displayed. Hanging their pails on the big spikes, they covered them with their wraps and took their old seats, ready to began at the signal. Very early in the term we began to anticipate the need of entertainment during stormy weather, so I brought from home a strong jumping rope, bean bags and story books. The children furnished small balls, jack-stones, jack knives, marbles and doll clothes, quilt patches and carpet raags for the girls, the furniture was moved and we had quite an indoor play ground.

We had very good times, working, playing, and eating together. The girls and boys did me untold good and my prayer is that I might have helped them to become good citizens. And so another school year rolled along.
Sincerely yours, Anna O'Beck.

The school room was lighted by kerosene wall lamps with reflectors. The stove stood towards the back of the room and had a shield around it. A hand bell was used to call the children in. The school had a wood shed. Some teachers of the school would room and board at a home close to the school and go home on weekends.. In those days the school year was only eight months long. The school had no piano, so the home across the street from the school would let them use theirs for singing.

I hope you used your imagination on this trip back through time and realized how hard it was for some people. Rosy Mound school did burn twice and both times it was rebuilt on the same site, a little better and each time with much needed improvements.


16 comments:

dr.antony said...

The fondest memories are the earliest ones!
It is as if my own story is re written in a different background!
I had written something similar.' Who is your teacher' about my primary school teachers.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

This was so interesting Margaret it made me think of my schooldays, I can remember my very first day, Your post was certainly an eye opener in many ways especially about the piano.
Thanks for yet another trip down memory lane,

Yvonne.

Gigi Ann said...

Margaret, I loved your two part story of the "Old Day School Teacher." You know it remind me of the stories of "Anne Of Green Gables" and "Little House On The Prairie." How nice it is for our children now, they run and jump on the school bus and off to school they go. I remember playing jump rope, and jacks when I was a young girl in school, all those many many years ago. Fun post today... ; )

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Margaret,

Your excellent write up about school made me go back to my school days.Those were wonderful carefree days.Some teachers I remember because of their dedication and some are still in my memory for being harsh to us.

Best wishes,
Joseph

Merle said...

Dear Margaret ~~ I so enjoyed your two part story of the historic school and the teacher
It sounds like they all enjoyed it together.
Thank you so much for your comment and prayers for my hospital visit - I will be glad when tomorrow is over. Glad you enjoyed the jokes and thank you for prayers for the people of New Zealand who have had such tragedy from the earthquake Take care my friend, Love, Merle.

Destiny's child... said...

That was a beautiful trip down the memory lane. You described it beautifully. It took me back to my own schooldays where teachers took an extra effort so that we might learn, enjoy and become good citizens. :)

Linda said...

Very interesting, Margaret! :) I especially liked the part about the Piano as well, and how much different it was then, also as far as people helping one another out like that.

Thanks for another good read.
Have a nice weekend,
Linda

J.Rylie.C said...

Hi, have a nice day.

DeniseinVA said...

Like you I love learning about history and even more so when it's told by a person who has experienced it. Thank you for sharing Margaret and have a great weekend.

Kay said...

This was fun to look back at the past. It's even further back than my school days. :-)

I'm so glad we've got more conveniences and teaching aids now for our classrooms.

Becky said...

I love this story Margaret. It was difficult back then, but everybody seemed to get along somehow, and I think there was so much less comlaining.
Have a wonderful weekend. HUGS.
Becky

Anonymous said...

Margaret, what a wonderful memory to share.

Thank you :-)

~Ron

DeniseinVA said...

You are such a wonderful writer Margaret. Thank you for this interesting read and have a great week.

Judy said...

I had to come by and get the second half of this story. I enjoyed both parts very much. It sure did bring back some memories for me, too. Thanks for all your great posts. Have a good week.

Anonymous said...

I must say it was like reading about my old teacher, Miss Beatrice Brown, and our country school. Very good.

caspersmom said...

Enjoyed your posts on the old school. I love to visit old towns with old buildings. My son and I took a trip along HWY 49 here in California that has a lot of old ghost towns along it. Gold booming town days. We really enjoyed seeing them.

Post a Comment