Trevor Fallis (age 7) of Mount Pleasant, Mich., holds kitten Pork Chop.
I read this in our newspaper on Monday the 17th and thought I would pass it on to my friends, who love animals. I am always up for a human interest story.
Other than being a bit smaller than his two siblings, Pork Chop seems to be the picture of health. That wasn't the case when the fuzzy kitten stopped breathing during an emergency visit to the local vet, who used mouth to mouth resuscitation to bring him back to life, this in its self was something of a miracle.
Pork Chop, 9 weeks old, got into the trash, along with his mother, and started munching on the remains of a pork chop,it became lodged in his throat .His owners tried the Heimlich maneuver, patted his back and put water in his mouth in an attempt to dislodge the meat, but to no avail.
They could not get an emergency visit with any vet that night. The next morning, Pork Chop was gasping for air, they called the vet, rushing the kitten to the hospital. The vet thought the kitten had a cold because his nose was running. Using a veterinary instrument, the vet reached into the kittens throat and pulled out the obstruction.
Then to the vets horror, the kitten laid down for a minute, "and then the little kitty died," the vet told them the kitten was not going to make it. The little boy, age 7 years, began to cry, so the vet put her mouth over the kittens nose and mouth, rubbed its belly and soon the kitten began to breath again. Pork Chop was put in an oxygen room on a heating pad, and he was soon ready "to go".
The family went ahead with their camping trip, taking Pork Chop along so he could be nursed back to health. His growth is still slow, he will stay with his owners but his siblings will find a home. The little kitty that had not been named before his ordeal, will henceforth be known as Pork Chop.